Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Revival Donuts.

Sometimes a donut is more than a donut.

Sometimes it is a reminder to your post-baby self that your pre-baby self is still alive deep down in there somewhere, that you still have a little kitchen badass inside who wakes up on Saturday morning (at 7:45am! bless that sweet child of mine) and announces, "I'm making donuts," and then marches into the kitchen and does just that.

Which is not to say that this recipe is at all complicated. Only a delicious and impressive party trick to surprise your family or weekend guests. You can be all, oh, it was nothing, I just made some donuts from scratch.

And then you will feel awesome. Even if later that night, you feed your husband Five Guys for dinner. And by feed, I mean, beg him to go pick-up. In the pouring rain*. But it's okay, because remember when you made donuts this morning?!




French Breakfast Donuts
adapted from Camille Styles
makes 6 donuts

5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinammon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half-and-half


1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Spray donut pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, beat until completely mixed.

In a medium bowl, whisk flour and next four ingredients, through salt. 

Beat flour mixture into butter in two batches, alternating with milk. 

Scoop batter in a gallon-sized ziploc, cut small corner off ziploc, pipe batter into donut pan.

Bake 18 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.

Remove from pan immediately.

Mix remaining 1/4 sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

Dunk hot donuts in melted butter and then into cinnamon-sugar mixture. 

Eat them up!

Sidenote: These donuts require a donut pan, though I'd venture to guess you could also make them in a muffin tin. On principal, I am opposed to single-function kitchen items (which is to say, instead of owning an apple-corer and an avocado pitter and a garlic-chopper, I own a knife). But, if baked donuts are your jam, you're going to need a donut pan. This is the one we have. Cheap, works great, and doesn't take up a lot of cabinet space.


* Since it was raining when Hugh went to get dinner, he got a raincoat out of the hall closet. He came in to tell me goodbye and I realized he was wearing my raincoat from college. Which has my sorority embroidered on the chest.

Cassie: You know, that is a woman's raincoat.
Hugh: No, I think it's unisex.
C: Um, it has the name of a sorority embroidered on it.
H: Right, but other than that, it's unisex.
C: You know sororities are only for women, right?
Upon return fifteen minutes later.
C: So, did everyone at Five Guys love your lady jacket?
H: Well, the woman in front of me had a plastic bag tied over her hair that was emblazoned with "Big Lots Paper Plates", so I don't think many people were critiquing my fashion choice.

1 comment:

  1. Um, a few things.

    1. I have had a donut pan on my Amazon wish list for a while now, and might have to bite the bullet and finally order it now.

    2. This recipe looks a little like the Back in the Day cinnamon sugar donut muffins, which basically makes me think that I should go into the kitchen and make those while I wait for my donut pan to arrive.

    3. Hugh is crazy. I bet that Big Lots headed woman was making fun of him when she got home. At least I hope she was.

    ReplyDelete